Lighting for Entrance Signs

Axis, thank you for joining the website and your comment. Right now we plan to light the main entrance sign enough so it can be seen at dark. Will definitely keep you and the neighbors posted if/when other lighting projects are approved and would welcome any ideas when being developed.

Please let me know what you think of the main entrance lighting once it is installed within the next few weeks.

I hope you consider joining the neighborhood association as well. It is just $20 for the next calendar year. Can click on the yellow box labeled “Get Involved” on the homepage for more details.

Thanks again and welcome to the website.

Brad

@board

Options for lighting:

Link to post/pillar/wall lighting (example by Gama Sonic)
Large lamp

Link to deck/wall lighting (example by Classy Caps)
Wall Mounted Light

Custom flat mounted solar panel powering small wall mounted light with additional plug for Holiday Lighting

Below is a link to Amazon for another option. Post or pier mount. Has 130 lumens. Operates dusk to dawn.
Gama Sonic Baytown II - Amazon Choice for Under $100

1 Like

Option one is pretty, but would require wiring to some source for electricity and an approval of The Woodlands.

Option 2 is unattractive if it is a wall mount, i.e., visible all the time.

If I had my way, I’d go for 1, if it’s a choice between the two. I have the same lights on my house. The black fades after a period of time. I’ve had to paint mine once in maybe 20 years. It wouldn’t hurt for me to do it again, but I’m to rickety to take them down. Plus, I’m no electrician.

Thanks for checking these out Connie.

The options are all solar powered. Sorry did not have a pic for the third idea.

Would consider installing Homestead first since the plaques are freshly painted and maybe easier to complete.

Hopefully others will have some ideas too.

Missed the solar powered for option 1. Still more attractive. I noticed Homestead Estates has 2 small polar panels and a light at their entrances.

I like option one as well. I can see those on the entrance to Homestead with some
Flowers planted all around the base. I think those are very attractive. Thanks for the research and sending the info.

Thank you Linda. Tried to find a fixture with dimensions to compliment the size of the pillar.

You did a good job. They are perfect, as long as they can be mounted in to the top so they can’t be stolen. They will look beautiful!

@board

From our last board meeting there was some hesitation about ordering the billboard light and some renewed interest with the pier/column lamp.

Below are some pics of the different types of lighting we have discussed so far. The pier/column lamps are made by Gama Sonic. This item is on our agenda for our next board meeting. Please review pics so we can discuss. Can provide more detail too if you like.

billboard sign
House Number Light

To aid in speeding up this agenda item, here’s my two cents worth on the matter. My ideas get shot down every single time, but I will offer my opinion. I’m getting gun shy.

I think the billboard lights are not aesthetically pleasing at all. Some people like industrial looks. I don’t.

Given a choice, I will always go for a post lamp with a finial on top and not something flat. Again, that is my personal taste. The first picture of a post light is my speed. I went to the website and look around but never found the items you posted.

I don’t know how, but I wonder if we should let the residents of Homestead have an opinion. I’m not sure the SHNA BOARD should be solely responsible.

I’ve saved my five minutes at the board meeting.

Thanks for taking the time to comment Connie.

I am guessing that you saw one of the six pics that are posted. I believe if you go to the bottom of your email and click Visit Topic in blue box with white lettering it will take you to our website to view the other examples three of which are the pier/column lamps. May have to scroll to see them.

If that does not work, then try clicking on this link: Lighting for Entrance Signs - Neighborhood - Stonegate Homestead Woodlands (stonegate-homestead.com)

Again, may need to scroll to see pics of the examples.

I am referencing the first one (at the top). I got the pictures originally. I did look at them. I went to the website for the lights to learn more.

@jeff.richards

Forgot to mention that the board was okay with purchasing the lamps for homestead entrance.
Okay with the Windsor or the Victorian from Gama Sonic. Both are on Amazon for $170 and $180 respectively. Any preferences?

Windsor Bulb Solar Light - Wall/Pier/3" Fitter Mount - Gamasonic USA

Victorian Bulb Solar Light w/GS Solar Light Bulb - Wall/Pier/3" Fitter Mounts - Gamasonic USA

I am okay with either or do nothing.

@bseldridge I like the look of the Windsor Bulb option a little better but I don’t have a real preference either way.

Just for more info on specs

Windsor 12x10.5x22.63 dimensions 150 Lumens 12hrs run time $180 on Amazon
Victorian 9.5x10x17 dimensions 150 Lumens 2 nights run $170 on Amazon

They do have a commercial grade
Imperial 10.75x10.75x24.25 180 Lumens 2 nights $240+23 on Amazon
GAMA SONIC Imperial Bulb Solar Outdoor Post Light, Black Cast Aluminum, Single Lamp with 3" Fitter for Lamp Posts, or Column Pier Base and Warm White 2700K Light (97B012) - - Amazon.com

Gama Sonic Imperial II Solar Black Outdoor Integrated LED Post Light GS-97NF 185455000857 | eBay

Forgot to mention the Imperial is post mount but could work. Did not show this one at meeting since it was more. Right now, just approved for $300 which is still short so will still need board approval if any are chosen.

Whichever one is the best for lighting and time, etc. Go for quality. It pays off in long run.

Just in case you have not noticed, we installed the solar lighting on the pillars coming into the Homestead subdivision. We went with a more beautification look vs. functionality of lighting the Homestead sign itself. As a result, the lighting is not near as bright.

Would see if you would be okay with us removing some more of the barrier plants near the pillar since these lights are solar and need as much sunlight as possible? We can cut and haul off.

Thanks for considering,
Brad Eldridge

Dear Brad,

Thanks for reaching out and communicating with me. Much appreciated and I do very much appreciate your time and efforts in maintaining the neighborhood.

Have you considered using a red light instead of a white light? I am willing to pay for a couple of red lights.

I am not in favor of trimming the hedge near the light. I like being able to enjoy the night and I find these lights very bright. I also like to use my telescope and this bright light will be picked-up by my telescope and will impair my ability to see objects. One of the features of the neighborhood is that there are no street lights.

In addition, bright lights interfere with circadian clocks of plants and animals including humans. Animals, including nocturnal insects and some birds, use the natural darkness, the moon, and stars for orientation and navigation. Most people probably do not even realize that the insect population is crashing and some of this is due excessive night lights as they become confused and disoriented. For example, many insects fly around bright lights until they become exhausted an die; so far I have not noticed this happening.

I realize my concerns probably represent a minority and I would not say anything if this was in a downtown part of a city. However, there are some in the neighborhood that have related to me an increase in night lighting from neighbors. Since I first moved here my neighbors backyards have become much brighter and some of this light has even penetrated into my yard and through some of my windows. Fortunately, they responded to my concerns, but there is still excessive lighting. I and many of my friends have always (since childhood) enjoyed to night and the slow transition from day to night. Being an amateur astronomer no doubt makes me more sensitive to this issue but it goes beyond that and I would feel this way even if I was not an amateur astronomer.

Again I appreciate your community efforts, which are important, and I very much appreciate you contacting me.

You can e-mail me directly and we can discuss this over the phone further. I tried to respond by a direct e-mail but I think the e-mail did not go through.

Respectfully,

Lawrence Brewer

Lawrence,

Thank you for the reply and the information. Very interesting. I can see that you are very passionate about issues related to excessive lighting.

There are several homes that have installed security lights and they can be very bright. This was one of the reasons we decided on a more decorative lighting of 150 lumens. Hopefully the low lighting will alleviate some of the impacts to the plants and animals compared to commercial grade lighting (like security and street lighting) while still providing an enhanced gateway into Homestead.

It is common for the direct replies to emails do not go through. The website does provide confidentiality since personal emails are hidden.

No worries on trimming the hedge.

Regards,
Brad Eldridge